On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Robert Buckley <robertdbuck...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tested the inside puffer capability of the geometry filter function
> and find it great. There is one detail though that I canĀ“t create.

Puffer? You mean buffer?
Puffer does not seem to apply to GIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffer

> I have a polyon which needs to be symbolized with an inner ring of 3.5mm
> at 1:50,000. This can be done with the filterfunction. The problem is that
> the the middle of the polygon ie the area inside the polygon past the
> puffer must be fully transparent .In effect this is a hole in the middle.
>
> The filterfunction can indeed create a puffer, but the center of the
> polygon will always be filled.

So you're trying with a negative buffer, but that just shrinks the polygon,
while you want to extract some sort of border
instead?

I never tried myself, but I believe you can combine two filter functions,
buffer and difference, to get what you
want. Something like: difference(geom, buffer(geom, negativeDistance))
might work.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549