On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Phil Scadden <p.scad...@gns.cri.nz> wrote:

>> Yes, a very substantial one: only understands geometries,
>> GetFeatureInfo knows about symbolizers (or at least tries to) so a
>> query on a point symbolizer that is 32px large is going to be much
>> more likely to work on GetFeatureInfo that GetFeature. To have them
>> work similarly you have to image a WMS request where all points are
>> symbolized with a single pixel and all lines are thin.
> Actually one of the things that I dont like about getFeatureInfo is that
> hitbox is too small - defined by the symbolizer! I'm more concerned
> though about server workload and network traffic.

&buffer=myDistanceInPixel

and you will control manually how big the hitbox is.
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wms/vendor.html#buffer

>> If you are worried that GetFeatureInfo is returning too much
>> information you'll be happy to know that I'm about to implement
>> property selection for GetFeatureInfo, pretty much the same way as
>> GetFeature works
> That would indeed be good - as would GML option for returned.

GML 2 is alredy there, has been for years, example:

http://demo1.geo-solutions.it/geoserver/geonetwork/wms?REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo&EXCEPTIONS=application%2Fvnd.ogc.se_xml&BBOX=-32.715%2C-3.355508%2C28.817%2C36.784508&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&X=348&Y=143&INFO_FORMAT=application/vnd.ogc.gml&QUERY_LAYERS=geonetwork%3AWDPA&FEATURE_COUNT=50&Layers=geonetwork%3AWDPA&WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=334&format=image%2Fpng&styles=&srs=EPSG%3A4326

The mime type is not particularly useful or nice, but that's what the
WMS 1.0/1.1
spec suggests if you want to return GML2

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy