sorry Gabriel...didn´t check my recipients´box and sent it directly to you!

----- Weitergeleitete Message -----
Von: Robert Buckley <robertdbuck...@yahoo.com>
An: Gabriel Roldan <grol...@opengeo.org>
Gesendet: 8:28 Montag, 5.März 2012
Betreff: Re: [Geoserver-users] gwc layer naming convention

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

Without having examples, it is pretty difficult to understand the difference
between resolutions, Levels and scales fully.

As a cartographer, I am interested only in the output, ie. if it is disirable
to have a map which shows the following scales - 1:1000.000 / 1:500.000 /
1:250.000 / 1:100.000 / 1:50.000 / 1:25.000 / 1:10.000 / 1:5000 I simply want
to know how to achieve this.

Obviously I would not use "Levels" as this doesn´t give me the control to
choose my own scales.  Scale Denominators and Resolutions let me acheive this.
If using Resolutions is the recommended way, would you be able to explain, ( or
give a tutorial url) how I can accurately calculate the resolutions from a
given coordinate system? (and a given extent if this is relevent?)

eg. If I am using ETRS89 defined as follows...

  <gridSet>
    <name>EPSG:25832</name>
<extent>
      <coords>
        <double>226014</double>
        <double>5648111</double>
        <double>773840</double>
        <double>5998111</double>
      </coords>
    </extent>

Using these extents I can workout that the width west to east is 5998111
- 5648111 = 350000 meters and the hight is 773840 - 226014 =  547826
meters...but this has no real use as far as I can tell as the resolution
depends on only unit of measurement and screen dpi. Is this right?

Using  a DPI of OpenLayers.DOTS_PER_INCH = 25.4 / 0.28 = 90.71428571428571,
and 39.3700787 inches in a meter of screen I can then workout that....

Resolution = chosen scale / InchesPerUnit * DPI

therefore...

Res = 1000000  / (39.2701 * 90.71428571428571)
R =1000000  / 3562.359071428571260271
R = 280.712859077111976006937033

the resolution corresponding to 1:1000.000 for a coordinate system defined in
meters is 280.712859077 etc

Is this the correct method of working out the resolutions? It would mean that
these resolutions are universal for all coordinate systems which use meters as
a unit.

I defined my geowebcache.xml using scaledenomintors. By looking into the source
code of the openlayers geowebcache demo the following resolutions are defined
for the above scales...

280.0, 140.0, 70.0, 27.999999999999996, 13.999999999999998, 6.999999999999999,
2.8, 1.4

they are close...but not identical...

280.712859etc,  140.356429etc,  28.0712859etc, 2.80712859, 1.4035642953

To how many decimal places should the resolutionsbe rounded, and why is
geoserver defining the first resolution as 280.0 and not 280,712 etc

Thanks for any comments...I´m sure there are lots of other users who have
exactly the same questions...

yours,

Rob