The CSS module never collapses whitespace inside of "quotes," even across
linebreaks.  Additionally, in the special case of labels any number of
property values will be implicitly wrapped up in calls to the "concat"
function, similar to the handling of  multiple values in SLD.

* {
    label: [STATE_NAME] "
(" [STATE_ABBR] ")";
}

I'm open to feedback on prettier notation for linebreaks but this seems
functional at least.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/