Andrea,

Thanks for your reply...it was indeed the fact that Global Services had been (inadvertently) turned off.

Now, turning them back, we get an xml response from WMS1.3.0, which is good.

But WMS1.1.1 tries to return a xx_wms mimetype, which usually means something is broken in the WMS.

So again I'm stuck here on how to find the problem from:
http://74.50.62.108:8080/geoserver/ows?service=wms&version=1.1.1&request=GetCapabilities

Sorry to be blind...hopefully my stumbling through the "silly mistakes" assists with the effort to ruggedise the software!

Kind regards,

JB