Thanks Imran,

After writing my mail to this list I've continued trying and found that if
I don't use palette: 'safe' in OpenLayers the speed is as expected: fast.
The size of the tiles grow a bit (20%) but the overall speed improvement is
huge.

I don't have a specific reason the use the palette option, I just came
across it while learning OL.

I still want to know where the tiles go to on the server, just to
understand it better.

Thanks,

Paul
--
Organizing the International Open Source GIS conference 2012 in The
Netherlands: