Hi Alex,

Ok so I created the Postgres user and password. Now I need to load the
shapefiles into the newly created db. I have a script that creates the
shapefiles and I wanted those shapefiles to be directly imported into the
Geoserver. The best way I found after some amount googling was that I
create a PostGIS connection in the Geoserver and when I add the shapefiles
into the PostGIS it should automatically update in Geoserver from where I
will be able to retrieve the data.

The issue is how can I directly connect to Postgres db that I have created
and make that a PostGIS, and then add the shapefile to it.

Also I am not sure why but why pgShapeLoader is coming greyed out like in
this image here. <http://i.stack.imgur.com/GsO1R.png> I am using Ubuntu
12.04 and the synaptic package Manager shows that I have installed the
opengeo-postgis-shapeloader <http://i.stack.imgur.com/eYWxW.png>.

Thanks & Regards,
Smaran Harihar

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Alex Borrell <borrella...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You should post to postgis/postgresql lists.
>
> When you installed postgis, postgresql should have been installed. So you
> need the
> password for postgresl, not postgis. Usually, postgresql creates a user
> postgres as
> administrator.
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Smaran Harihar
> <smaran.hari...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to import the shapefiles into GeoServer using the PostGIS
>> connection. I am not able to do it, since I do not know what the
>> username and the password is for my PostGIS database.
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and I installed Geoserver using the Synaptic
>> Package Manager.
>>
>> How can I know the username and password of the PostGIS connection?
>> Please help.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks & Regards
>> Smaran Harihar