Alessio,
Thank you for the response, but the solutions in the blogpost did not resolve
the issue I was having. I ended up getting it to work by putting hardlinks in
the GeoServer WEB-INF directory that pointed to the native JAI files installed
in the JDK.

The way I had read the documentation it looked to me like the JAI files
installed by GeoServer would be different than the native libraries I
downloaded and that it was safe to delete them out of WEB-INF because they were
no longer required. I wanted to clean the files in GeoServer out because I did
not want potentially incompatible versions of the same file on the server.

After making the change, the Server Status page in GeoServer Manager still
shows Native JAI as false, but I am going to guess that is because of my use of
hardlinks to point to the native libraries. I very well could be wrong, but
everything is working so I am going to leave well enough alone now and continue
adding services to GeoServer.

- Michael

>>> Alessio Fabiani <alessio.fabi...@geo-solutions.it> 5/16/2012 3:08 AM >>>
You need to tweak a bit the configuration options of your Tomcat.

Please refer to this blogpost for the full solution and explanation of the
problem
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.it/2010/05/fix-geotools-and-geoserver-not-able-to.html

Regards,
        Alessio.