If the problem is that you have a style that has one rule for each state,
you might be able to use expressions in styling parameters to reduce the
number of rules required:

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/styling/sld-reference/pointsymbolizer.html#using-expressions-in-parameter-values

The new-ish transformation filter functions make this kind of thing easier
(although I'm not sure if they are in 2.1.4):

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/styling/sld-tipstricks/transformation-func.html

One of the noted *disadvantages* of using these functions is that they
don't get reflected in legend graphic entries - but in this case, that's
actually an advantage.

If it isn't obvious how to do this, you might want to post your styles to
the list.

Martin Davis
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org