To reply to myself,

In a 32-bit situation we use the good-old ojdbc14.jar.
In a 64-bit environment we use the new ojdbc6.jar to get successful connections
with Oracle 11 and Geoserver.

For some reason, when using the ojdbc5- or -6.jar from the 32-bit Oracle Client
in a 32-bit situation we run into trouble but the old 14 works great.

Regards,
Martijn