Hi Garey

First, using a ticket as a session identifier is a security risk.
Normally, a CAS ticket is validated once. Geoserver sends the ticket
to the CAS server and receives the user name.

Upon successful validation, the CAS server removes the ticket from its
ticket registry. The following scenario is possible:

1) Geoserver receives a ticket "ST-123456".
2) The ticket is validated and the user name is "user1". The CAS
server removes
the ticket from its registry.
3) If the ticket is a session identifier, Geoserver has to remember
the ticket value.
4) A new user "user2" requires a CAS ticket. It is unlikely but
possible that the new user gets an identical ticket "ST-123456".
5) Geoserver receives the ticket (the session identifier) and "user2"
has the same privileges as "user1". This is not correct.

I did some investigations last weekend and I think I will do it the
following way.

- Concerning Geoserver there is no difference between service tickets
and proxy tickets, the important fact is to retrieve the user name by
validating the ticket.

- I will add a configuration option "allowSessionCreation". Enabled
means that GeoServer will create a http session, sending back a cookie
to the client. If this option is disabled, no cookie is sent back and
a new ticket is required for each request.

In your scenario, you should use "allowSessionCreation=true". This
will work well for browser clients. OpenGeoPortal has to retransmit
the cookie for each request.

I will keep you informed
Christian