As far as I got with this problem is to note that what appears on my map is
the result of

org.geotools.feature.AttributeImpl.toString()

which appends the attribute value with ClassName + ":" + "<" +
attribute_type + ">="

rather than the simple value of the attribute (from getValue())

Unable to change this behavior, I'm using the SLD to substring the label
value, like:

<Label>
<ogc:Function name="strSubstringStart">
<ogc:PropertyName>test2:StateAbbr</ogc:PropertyName>
<ogc:Add>
<ogc:Function name="strIndexOf">
<ogc:PropertyName>test2:StateAbbr</ogc:PropertyName>
<ogc:Literal>=</ogc:Literal>
</ogc:Function>
<ogc:Literal>1</ogc:Literal>
</ogc:Add>
</ogc:Function>
</Label>

or, alternatively, simpler, and maybe faster:

<Label>
<ogc:Function name="strSubstringStart">
<ogc:PropertyName>test2:StateAbbr</ogc:PropertyName>
<ogc:Function name="parseInt"><ogc:Literal>32</ogc:Literal></ogc:Function>
</ogc:Function>
</Label>