Thanks. I did find 3.3 dlls (actually yanked them from the FWTools package)
which enabled ECW with the GDAL plugin...

What I want to do is actually to create a tilecache from this ECW using
GeoServer then remove it so it's never actually served to any user which I
think is acceptable by the license... but seeding the cache results in
GeoServer out of heap memory rather quickly so in the end I resorted to
converting the ECW to GeoTIFF using GDAL as you suggested. Seeding from the
GeoTIFF is rock solid, so I think there is memory leaks going on using
GDAL/ECW and GeoServer.

/Björn