That should be 'external.shp' instead of Stemmodontia_reticulata. The
"filename" in this request indicates to GeoServer whether the data is:

   1. In the request (file.shp)
   2. Already on the server (external.shp)
   3. Somewhere on the web, to be fetched by GeoServer (url.shp)

Since you are posting a file path you want case 2.

--
David Winslow