Hi again,

I solved the problem. In the whole inconvenient XML jungle you have to
deal with I just overlooked the fact that additionally to the <srs> tag
there is also the <nativeCRS> tag which *must* be set in order to have
the layer being published properly. After I added that tag it worked.

All the best,
Matthias