It should be usable in CSS, although I've not tried it.  The CSS equivalent
of Edward Mac Gillavry's example would be:

* {
  label: ".";
  font-family: "Liberation Sans";
  font-size: 10;
  label-anchor: 0.5 0.5;
  font-fill: #ff0000;
  shield: url(/symbols/red.svg);
  shield-mime: "image/svg";
  -gt-label-priority: 150000;
  -gt-label-padding: 20;
}

I will note that since the labeling priority is used to sort WITHIN a layer
it is a little unusual to make it a constant value; normally you would put
a reference to a numeric field for sorting in it.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/