You could also try to make a rendering transformation for it, see
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-extensions/rendering-transform.htmlfor
a start.

So instead of storing the rings in your database you could have geoserver
create them on the fly with a WPS process that's only applied at render
time.