Thanks for the hints, Andrea.

If we provide fixed values for time and spatial extent when creating the layer - would that avoid the execssive data base queries?

Am 20.02.2013 16:26, schrieb Andrea Aime:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Matthias Müller
<matthias_muel...@tu-dresden.de <mailto:matthias_muel...@tu-dresden.de>>
wrote:

    Hello list,

    are there any best practices on offering a large number of WMS
    layers with geoserver? We are operating a geoserver instance that
    has about 600 time-enabled vector layers (loaded from a postgres
    database) which causes two problems:

    1) The capabilities take a very long time (>5 Minutes) to load
    2) The capabilities are becoming quite big (Currently about one 1MB)
    so we might run into issues with clients

    So are there any solutions for these problems? Can we speed up the
    Capabilities response? Can we maybe assign layers to different WMS
    endpoints?

You should probably partition the stores/layers in different workspaces,
and use the worskpace specific
OGC services.

The other thing that slows things down is that for each time enabled
layer a query is done against the
database to retrieve fresh time values... we don't have a way to
register them statically, but
I'm thinking that one potential improvement to GeoServer (which requires
coding) could
be to submit these lists to some caching, so that they are not requested
every time (pretty much
like we cache the structure of feature types today).... the significant
downside of this approach
is that the list of times can be very large, caching it would eat memory
easily...

Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for
more information.

@geowolf