Hi Guan

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Guan Wang <gw...@glc.org> wrote:

> What's your goal? For me, it's like you are looking for a solution to only
> allow authorized users consuming your WMS services. Then it doesn't sound
> like a role for Geoserver. It gotta be something above GeoServer to take
> this responsibility.

I am already using a really good one (GeoNode), but now I have the task to
create a viewer external from the GeoNode context using private
layers, this is why I am
looking at what is the best way to authenticate with GeoServer

> I would suggest you leaving Geoserver along and use a proxy server on top of
> GeoServer for authentication.

That is exactly what I have ended up with ;)

> BTW, I can't see why extending Leaflet could be an alternative since it's
> just a client sied javascript library, isn't it?

A possible approach we were considering is with XMLHttpRequest,
setting the headers for basic auth, and feed the viewer with json,
using WFS instead than WMS. But you are right, this is not applicable
to WMS.

regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer