Jonathan,

I don't know what log4J does as a default but the definition of a max
rollover file-size makes sense.

in your case:
log4j.appender.geoserverlogfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.geoserverlogfile.MaxBackupIndex=3
*log4j.appender.geoserverlogfile.MaxFileSize=10000KB*

Ceki Gülcü, who was the main author has been careful not to spread too much
information about the log4j configuration, but -fair enough - has written a
slim book in the O'Reilly series, which is worth buying.  If mine hadn't
gone walkabout I probably could have told you the default.

Cheers

Christian

-----

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department of Sustainability and Environment
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813