I am looking at getting a cloud server to host a GeoServer for an app that
I am writing.  I don't expect any real revenue to support the cost of
server so it is out or pocket. I am use to having 2gb available so have
never dealt with hardware this limited. This will be used primarily with an
iPhone app but there will be an OpenLayers interface for viewing and an
export functionality. This is a firefighter app for finding and adding
water sources. The app is 95% written the ongoing cost is the thing holding
it back atm.

The server would just be handling wfs and wms and only point data stored in
a PostGIS on the same box. Is it possible to run under these conditions? I
plan on setting up and running some JMeter tests to see how well it stands
up, I just wanted to know if this is completely impractical. The pricing
really jumps up quick with when you start adding ram.

Also would it lower or raise ram requirements if I used a SHP file instead
of PostGIS?