Hi Lottie & Edward,

regarding question 2:
I'm pretty sure that the 'spaceAround' vendor option is only available
for TextSymbolizers and not PointSymbolizers.

However, with a small workaround you can also use it for symbols.
Just specify a TextSymbolizer with an empty label and add the
symbol/icon as a shield.

In CSS, this can be achieved like so:

* {
     label: ['.'];          /* must have content otherwise ignored */
     font-family: "Arial";
     font-size: 0;              /* do not display label */
     -gt-label-padding: 5;      /* = spaceAround option */

     shield: url("youricon.png"); /* or use predefined symbol altern. */
     shield-mime: "image/png";
     shield-size: 10;
}

This works perfectly fine for me, however, if someone knows a cleaner
version I'd be interested in it, too.

Cheers,
Matthias