Hi Ian,

Yes, ISO 19115 states following about GetCapabilities and resulting WMS
layer style clause:

Style

Required to have name/title elements, if only one style it is default

Optional

But it's not about resulting style info (as it's Optional anyways), it's
rather how Geoserver handles default and/or non-existing layer requests
under the hood.

Regards,

Maksim Sestic

  _____