Oiva,

There are a few strategies here, most likely the one you should take in a
production system is a script that uses the REST [1] API to refresh the
second GeoServer. It should pick up the changes then.

This sounds scarier than it really is, the call that you have to make is
quite simple, see [2]

Hope that helps

[1] http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/api/index.html
[2] http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/api/reload.html

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Hakala Oiva (MTT) <oiva.hak...@mtt.fi>wrote:

> I have a test environment using Apache2 + 2 Tomcats and 2 Geoservers using
> the SAME Geoserver data & config directory. Everything seems to work fine
> BUT:
>
> How can I manage data using Geoserver??? Two (2) instances are running,
> and if I change a layer name using the first Geoserver, it remains the same
> when I log on the second Geoserver. Using outside port via Apache2 I see
> the unaltered layer name using layer preview. So, what would the right way
> to manage data to keep it in sync?
>
> I followed the instructions in "Iacovella-Yougblood: Geoserver Beginners
> Guide", chapter 11, execpt both Tomcats are configured to start via
> startup.sh, not via service.
>
> Thanks in advance, Oiva

Juan Marín Otero
GIS Consultant