In the near(ish) future I'm going to need to serve a set of aerial images
that are periodically updated a tile at a time. In general users will want
to see the latest images across the view (but will need to switch to the
view that would have been seen on a particular day).

I'm thinking that I will need a database to store the index (and may be the
images) but it's not clear from the examples I can find if the ability to
add tiles on an ad hoc basis is supported.

I'm also not clear on if I need to (or can) build a pyramid/mosaic or if I
just mosaic the high res imagery and rely on the overviews to provide
pyramid like qualities at lower zoom levels.

Has anyone done something similar and would you be prepared to share your
experiences?

cheers

Ian

--