This would be a great thing to have. I agree with Andrea, that CSS would be
more attractive as a styling "language" and building it with pure client
side technologies and leveraging the REST API (which has the side benefit
of making it more robust) is a good idea.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Martin Davis <mtncl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neat - I hadn't seen that.  Makes perfect sense for the MapServer world.
>  And a little friendly competition is always motivating!  (Although
> TileMill has been providing this in spades for a while now...)
>
> The ScribeUI looks heavier-weight than I was thinking of.  Could a useful
> styling editor be built 100% browser-based, using a combination of
> OpenLayers, custom JS/CSS/HTML, and taking advantage of the GeoServer REST
> API?
>
> The other feature that would be useful is an ability to migrate styles
> (and perhaps layers) between GeoServer instances.  Hopefully the REST API
> allows this too to be done via a browser.
>

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You fear that Mapserver will have something that is easier to do than
>> with Geoserver?
>> http://mapgears.github.io/scribeui-site/
>>

>> http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/xmlui/bitstream/handle/url/190/Scribe%3a%20MapServer%20Mapfile%20Development%20Made%20Easy.pdf?sequence=1
>>
>> -Jukka Rahkonen-
>> ________________________________
>> Martin Davis wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone thought about implementing a browser-based map styling
>> editor for GeoServer?  I'm thinking of a simple TileMill-esque sort of
>> thing, showing a map on one side and allowing editing a style on the other.
>>
>> Some features that would be useful:
>>
>> - Ability to speciify a base map tileset
>> - Ability to include multiple GeoServer layers as a single overlay, to
>> allow seeing the result of label deconfliction
>> - Ability to download an SLD, edit it, and post it back, with automatic
>> map refresh.
>>
>> It seems like this should be a relatively simple browser application to
>> build.
>>
>> Thoughts?

>> October Webinars: Code for Performance
>> Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
>> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
>> from
>> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register >
>>
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Juan Marín Otero
GIS Consultant

http://guachintoneando.blogspot.com