Hi,
as Russ Hore also pointend, it's an OpenLayers question, here's why:

I see you are using the GeoServer "OpenLayers Preview" as a base to build
your map.
I highly discourage that, because that page has the only required tools to
preview the selected layer.

If you want to start learning OpenLayers I recommend you this tutorial:
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/introduction.html

It's a step-by-step tutorial, very practical.

The reason your map becomes blank it's because the OpenLayers library
provided with the Preview page doesn't include the LayerSwitcher control.
Trying to load that Control breaks the code execution, preventing the

As you can see in the source code, there is a comment to warn you about
that.

        <!-- Import OpenLayers, reduced, wms read only version -->
        <script src="
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/openlayers/OpenLayers.js";
type="text/javascript">

I hope this helps.