Ian,

this is even more confusing.

It does indeed work through the REST api when I change the SvgParameter lines to CssParameter. But when I upload the file with SvgParameters from within the GeoServer, it is accepted, and I can see all SvgParameter lines in the style editor.

Is there a reason why the REST api behaves differently?

Serge.