2013/10/18 Gianni Iannelli <giannicrist...@msn.com>:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm pretty new to the world of GeoServer and of course, I'm in trouble!
>
> My final aim is to develop a WebGIS where an user could click on a map and,
> from the coordinates of the clicked point, retrieve the number of closes
> point in circle range (spatial analysis) and show the numbers on a popup.
> After different hours of research and basic knowledge, I decided to use
> GeoServer + Leaflet.js (I preferred it to Openlayer and I think fit with my
> final aim)
>
> I thouht that after a week of javascript and some tutorial online  I could
> achieve this but unfortunatly not :(. I have mainly two questions but before
> I think I have to describe my environment.
>
> I work on a windows 8 environment 64bit. I have installed TomCat and in the
> folder webapps I have put the geoserver.war. It was converted in a folder
> automatically and I could reach it on the following local host adress:
>
> http://localhost:8082/geoserver/web/ (I have choose 8082 instead of 8080
> during the installation of TomCat)
>
> After that I simply download the client of Leaflet.js and put in the webapps
> folder of TomCat at the same level of GeoServer with the name 'Leaflet'. I
> don't know if I have to put it within the GeoServer folder or not.
> Afterthat, I create a basic html in the Leaflet folder. I followed the
> tutorial on the leaflet.js folder and everything works fine.
>
> Now, the point is that I wanna load on a map, a shapefile of points. I know
> that I could write every point in an html file but I prefer to have a
> shapefile (create in a QGIS and convert with OGR (GDAL)). It's simpler with
> hundreds/thousands of points. Actually here comes the doubts.
>
> The main doubts are:
>
> I know that I could upload the shapefiles in GeoServer following the
> tutorial and see them in an OpenLayer demo. The point is that I didn't
> installed any PostGIS/PostgreSQL software. Do I need that right? How could I
> install in a way that it could communicates with GeoServer? I didn't any
> tutorial because I have GeoServer within TomCat and so, in a different
> situation where I could install using GeoServer.exe. After that, I could
> recall that from my client using what url? localhost:8082/geoserver/web/...?

You don't need a database if you don't want to. You can publish your
shapefile directly with geoserver. Check the documentation[1]. Anyway
I recommend to do the Boundless GeoServer workshop to get a better
idea of what GeoServer is, and specially their main components and
concepts (Workspace/Store/Layer/Style/etc). After that you'll know how
to publish your data to any WMS/WFS client.

> I understand that probably these are dummy doubts...but I wasn't able to
> find any answer around on google. Do know any nice tutorial to follow that
> could clarify my questions? Any language is ok!

There are never dummy doubts, if you do your research and don't find a
good answer on the list archives or any other resource, asking here is
perfectly OK.

BR

[1] http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/vector/shapefile.html
[2] http://workshops.boundlessgeo.com/geoserver-intro/