Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are thinking of and it isn't a
ready-to-use end user application but at
http://earthserver.bgs.ac.uk/clients/3d/glasgow_geology.html you can see a web
client which uses the x3dom library (www.x3dom.org) and WebGL to show a WMS
image (the top ground surface layer) draped on a DEM retrieved from a WCS. Well
that isn't quite accurate; this version is getting the DEM data from a rasdaman
(http://www.rasdaman.org/) WCPS as that allows us to specify a reduction in
resolution of the source DEM for retrieval which WCS doesn't. However, we have
used WCS (returning data as GML coverages) as well and it also works. This is
using some early development code from https://github.com/PHerzig/EarthServer
developed for the EarthServer http://earthserver.eu/ project. So this would be
an option if you are happy doing some web page and Javascript programming to
make something suitable for your own uses. It will get slow if you want to use
high resolution DEMs.

This requires a WebGL capable browser (and graphics card). I've used Firefox
and Chrome, Internet Explorer 11 is supposed to be WebGL capable but I haven’t
tested that yet.

Regards,

Marcus Sen
British Geological Survey
Keyworth
Nottingham
NG12 5GG
Web: http://www.bgs.ac.uk

This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC is subject
to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents of this email and any
reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless it is exempt from release under
the Act. Any material supplied to NERC may be stored in an electronic records
management system.