Just looking to jmap this now and Geoserver is using over 4GB or RAM but
jmap reports the following: "Unable to attach to 32-bit process running
under WOW64" which suggests it's a 64bit jmap looking at a 32bit java
instance but Geoserver is running out of the same install as far as I can
tell allbeit jmap is in the JDK and Geoserver appears to be running from
the JVM.  The only way I can think of getting round this is to restart
Geoserver and force it to run in the JDK version but that would lose the
4GB memory footprint I was hoping to analyse.  Anything I can do without
having to restart?

Jonathan, one question: do all your Oracle connections use the same login?
My understanding of this is limited and there are other possible
explanations but a theory I have is that Oracle will not share a client
connection between two different logins and it allocates all its RAM via
the client program.  If that's correct and you use a single login that
would explain why your memory usage is manageable and ours isn't.  We use a
separate login for each of our clients to help ensure data separation and
we've got 14 configured in there.  I also suspect that Oracle memory
configuration has more to do with how much memory the client application
uses but I've never found anything that explains how this actually works
particularly well!