Hi

Geoserver is usually waterproof to install but I can't say why it fails for
you. For getting a better feeling, try this:
- Download binary package (zip)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoserver/files/GeoServer/2.5-RC1/geoserver-2.5-RC1-bin.zip/download
- Unzip it to somewhere else than either of the "program files" on your
computer, for example "gs_test"
- Double click C:\gs_test\geoserver-2.5-RC1\bin\startup.but

If this fails, open the bat file and set JAVA_HOME  here:
cls
echo Welcome to GeoServer!
echo.
set error=0
set JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jre7_64
rem Write your own jre path above
rem JAVA_HOME not defined
if "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto noJava

Retry.  This works for me on Windows 7 even without admin rights. Firewall
warning appears but it can be closed and Geoserver starts at localhost:8080.
Let's hope that this works and you can start playing with Geoserver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-