Hi,
The direct integration creates a cache on disk that don't expires,
(geowebcache direct integration), while caching headers tell the browser to
cache the tiles for a period of time on the client. So they are 2 different
levels of cache. When you update the data, you have to empty the cache on
disk. You can do it using the gwc rest interface or using the web interface
manually. For the caching headers, keep in mind that if a user gets the
tile 1 second before the update, he will see the changes after 2 hours (
the headers tell the browser to don' t update the tile for the time
indicated)