Alternatively, can anyone suggest a way in which I could blank out the visual
content of the TIFFs without damaging any of the other content relevant to
GDAL (I presume opening in Photoshop and filling with white is unlikely to
preserve all the metadata required). If I can do that, I can see if the
problem still persists. If so, I can send the blanked-out TIFFs to anyone
prepared to have a look at the issue.

Thanks

Tom