Hi,

Our process modifies the Postgres/PostGIS tables with new columns that we use
for security filtering.  In our case, it is acceptable for the filter values to
be visible to users.

One  method I am aware of is to modify the request params adding in the
PropertyName=Comma,Delimited,FieldNames.  You would probably have to check for
a propertyname list and remove your filter columns if it exists.  Or, create a
completely new param listing the acceptable columns and adding it to the
request.

You can also create a post filter with SPRING and add it to the outbound filter
chain removing the column when it is JSON or GML based output.  Possibly the
CSV output.  The shapefile result type would be more problematic to remove the
filtering columns from the feature type, but is still doable.

Maybe one of the core developers know of a way to restrict the columns in the
result set in a more elegant manner.

One example I found from the client side restricting the values.

https://wiki.state.ma.us/confluence/display/massgis/GeoServer+-+WFS+-+Filter+-+Get+Subset+of+Attribute+Values+for+a+Feature+-+Complex+Filter+2

Chris Snider
Senior Software Engineer
Intelligent Software Solutions, Inc.