Hi Simone,

Think I discovered the problem. I was using a custom style for the piramid
and since I'm not an expert in setting those rasterstyle parameters, I
probably forgot to put the alpha band on the SLD file. I've changed to the
default raster style that comes with Geoserver and /voila/, no more black
borders.

I discovered this while preparing a sample dataset for you so, thanks for
your help in fixing my mistake. I'll also update the stackexchange question
I made about the topic.

Cheers
Daniel - now with transparent backgrounds