Cindy - I have never run Tomcat under Jetty, but you must be careful to
have only one reference to any jar that uses JNI (gdal for instance, also
image-io). I usually deploy in tomcat, and put all the jars in the
<geoserver directory>/WEB-INF/lib directory. Have you looked at your logs?
What do they say. Look for lines saying that GDAL has been loaded (or not)
and, if it was not loaded, why?

Garey