Kevin,

please show us the mappings for this element and how you defined the new
element.

Be sure to have the correct nesting of type and property type so that
the GML encoding rule object/property/object/property... is observed
otherwise the GeoTools Encoder will silently ignore your complex
content. I suspect that avwx:aerodromeWxForecast should be defined as a
wx:ForecastPropertyType.

Kind regards,
Ben.