It is not.  Depending on the test environment, I have either relocated
the geoserver data dir, or the actual cache dir to a different path
(with simple directory names - no spaces, special characters, ....).  In
all cases the OS, Tomcat, Java are all native 64 bit implementations, so
geoserver proper is actually under C:\Program Files\Tomcat....