There was a security extension that uses JDBC to authenticate users (you
are correct that this can be used allow GeoServer to benefit from any
single sign on system you have already set up for your database).

The limited documentation in the manual is here:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/security/auth/providers.html#jdbc-authentication
--
Jody

--