We do fix errors all the time, often it is a quality assurance issue (the
developers need to check that they "close" each resource they open). With
that in mind I would recommend upgrading. That version of GeoServer is old
(so no active developers are available to help you). Part of how open
source works is both geoserver-devel and geoserver-user list collaborating
as the software is produced each year. If you are working with an older
version of GeoServer you can look into some options for commercial support
on our website.

You may also find that specific patterns of use load more raster data into
memory then you have provided. You can look at data optimisation (some
formats always need memory (jpeg) some formats give you flexibility to
control size vs memory use during data prep (geotiff). In a production
system it is smart to set up a watchdog script to monitor your Tomcat (or
Jetty) and restart it if necessary.

Cheers,
Jody