I have been struggling to generate a set of imagemosaics inside geoserver
2.5.1. The problem is the "java.io.IOException: Failed to create reader
from file:data/subsmon/xxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxx_wgs84 and hints null".

Given a set of say, 17 potential temporal imagemosaics, Geoserver only
seems to allow 4 stores to be built at any given time. This problem exists
using the gsconfig wrapper around the REST API and if I load the
imagemosaics by hand through the web interface.

Of the 17 stores, I can load any four individually, but on load of a 5th,
the "create reader" problem appears .

The imagemosaics are all configured against a PostGIS backend and the
configuration properties files are not different from one potential mosaic
to another. I am reasonably convinced there is not much wrong with the
properties files

The raster granules are all GeoTIFFS that were generated by GDAL and are in
EPSG:4326, ranging in size from ~ 1Mb to 40Mb; this is fine, since the
different mosaics have different sized bounding boxes

Each imagemosiac needs to be created initially with one granule; spatially
identical granules will be temporally mosaicked as data is acquired over
time.

Is there some configurable limit on the number of imagemosaic datastores
allowed in a given Geoserver instance?

Any help in trying to unpack this problem would be gratefully received

Regards
Graeme