Hi,

Trying to wrap my head around the LDAP security configuration and I'm
looking for someone who knows about this.
I've read:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/security/tutorials/ldap/index.html

But I noticed that the following settings can be configured both in the
authentication provider and the role service:
1) group base and filter
2) names of the ADMIN and GROUPADMIN roles;

What is the difference between those different but similar looking
settings? What additional behaviour does the role service provide? I
thought the role service was to map the roles to ldap groups, but the
tutorial says that the settings in the auth.prov. do that as well. And
what do you get from specifying admin and groupadmin in the role service
on top of doing it in the auth.prov?

CC'd the coders of this module so they'd hopefully enlighten me.

Thanks for your help!

Niels