I got myself in a tangle today working with LandSat 5 data - I know this
should be the easiest thing in the world right?

RasterSymbolizer lets you select a number of channels (4,5,1 generally
match with RGB for a "true color" image). But here is where I run into
trouble - the data is in the range 0.0 to 1.1 (with -Infinite as NO_DATA).
I had hoped that setting this up in the geoserver layer definition, and
then using SLD to select out the bands would magically work.

Ran into a couple problems:

* In the resulting visual NO_DATA is not respected as transparent .. tried
also in a layer group
* I was not sure I need to transform the data from each band (remember 0.0
- 1.0 float) to 0 to 256. We cannot do a colormap entry on each band ... so
I am a bit stuck.

Exploring the problem with a single band (and color map) we can map no data
to a transparent color just fine - but this does not get me a full color
image :(

Having a look at geometry transformations to see if we can stage a decent
RGB channel before letting SLD have a crack at it:

* BandMerge lets me combine several bands into a resolution image
* Reclassify could be used to remap the 0.0f to 1.0f range to 0 to 256
integers expected by SLD

Putting these two ideas together (as a geometry transformation) may work -
but I wanted to check before proceeding.