Von: Christian Mueller [mailto:christian.muel...@os-solutions.at]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. April 2015 17:40
An: Mende, Andre
Cc: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Betreff: Re: [Geoserver-users] WG: ImageMosaicJDBC problem: geoserver stop
waiting before postgres send the raster information

Hi Andre

I meant one big GeoTIFF (no use of gdal_retile)  with internal compression,
tiles , overviews and the CRS. This setup works pretty well for my customers.
At the end of the day, you have only one geotiff file and GeoServer works very
good with a geotiff file (my experience).

Maybe I can send you some Linux scripts I am using.

What format is your original data ?

Cheers
Christian

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Mende, Andre
<andre.me...@landkreis-zwickau.de<mailto:andre.me...@landkreis-zwickau.de>>
wrote:
Hi Christian again,

Your question was: Did you consider to create one big  geotiff  file with inner
tiling and overviews ?
I addition to my last post I will ask you something about big GeoTIFF with
inner tilling and overviews.
Do you mean that I have to create for every tile of my gdal_retile result a
inner tilling and overview or should I make one big GeoTIFF (165 GB, maybe 20
GB if I reduce with JPEG-compression) without using gdal_retile?

Thanks.
André

Hi Christian and Andrea,

thank you both for your response.

I had used gdal_retile with different pixelsizes 1000x1000, 2000x2000,
5000x5000.
I am interested in the best configuration as a balance between number of rows
in database for each pyramidal step and the size of the real image.

@ Andrea:
Do you have this paper of Paul Ramsey or a link with the full results?

@ Christian:
Is it faster if I use the raster-column in a function like st_envelope to get
the bounds or maybe we should use a extra column with the geometry bounds
because a raster is a fixed information without dynamic change of the borders?
In my opinion I think it is faster to ask the database whether a point is
inside a bounding box (geometry column) instead of using a full raster and
calculate the borders every time…
Another point: Is there a opportunity only use Image Links in database using
ImageMosaicJDBC? (please look at the answer of Andrea last mail)

Now I compress my source images using gdal_retile including compression
attribute because i will find the right balance between resolution and image
size.
If the process is ready I will tell you some result information. In addition I
will test a 32 bit server with JAI and a 64 bit server without JAI which is
faster or what´s the differences.

Thanks.
André