Just a short update on this.

I have created new classes in OWSLib for WCS 1.1.1 and it is now able
to interact with GeoServer. These improvements were merged into the
master branch:
https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/pull/235

I submitted similar improvements to OpenLayers, but they are yet to be merged:
https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/1442

If anyone needs to query GeoServer from OpenLayers my fork is available here:
https://github.com/ldesousa/openlayers

Regards,

Luís