I posted a similar inquiry earlier, but did not come up with a solution
at the time, and then got distracted.  I've recently picked up the task
again, and have found a bit more information.  The issue is fairly
simple - with my setup (Windows - various versions 2008R2 to 2012,
geoServer - various versions from 2.4 to 2.7.1, Java 6 and 7) and my map
layer, the disk cache grows rapidly until the disk is full (and then
other bad things happen.  I have very liberal cache settings, have
diskquota active (H2 DB, 180 sec interval, 100 MB max size, LRU or LFU
clean mode), and the cache resides on an SSD drive.  The cache settings
are configured to use a RegEx filter or .* on VIEWPARAMS.  My layer is
comparatively small (a few colored lines per tile), and is substantially
regenerated every minute (via data updates in the source postGreSQL
DB).  The changes generally consist of some of the lines changing color,
but the overall look is the same.  I also installed a similar setup on
Linux (current Debian, geoS 2.7.1, ....), with the same result.

What I have found now, is that the system is 'cleaning' the cache, it is
just doing it at a fraction of the speed it is growing, and gets it
progressively slower as it grows.  So far I have not determined if the
issue is in the DB or in the file system access, but I do see large
amounts of disk write activity going to various H2 DB 'temp' files
during the cleanups (on Windows).

Is anyone else using this type of 'active layer' caching successfully?
Any pointers would be appreciated.  Note that I realize caching rapidly
changing data is a bit counter-intuitive, but we can have literally
thousands of users hitting the system looking at these layers, and
without this, we will have to build out a substantial 'bursting'
infrastructure, which caching should handle nicely.  Many of these users
are looking at the same set of tiles.

Is there any point in trying an external geoWebCache install?

Is there a way to set the H2 DB connection settings (without
compiling)?  Specifically the DB close and DB cache settings?  How do I
find out what is currently in use?

Is there a schema for the H2 DB I can reference?  Is there a DB schema I
can use to try this with an external DB (MS SQL, postGreSQL)?

Thanks