We have done a bit more investigation here and it seems the issue may be
postgis related

The postgis server log is reporting :-

2015-07-29 10:13:41 BST  LOG        could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I have our server guys trying to find why its happening

Mark Ismail

Save time – use the IT Service Desk Self Serve<http://kmbcselfservice/>
Application

From: Ismail, Mark
Sent: 29 July 2015 11:31
To: 'Andrea Aime'
Cc: List
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Geoserver WAR version and windows server 2012

I copied my data into the internal folder to try remove that as a possible
reason

I’ve been using Tomcat 8.15 to 8.21 for 6 months with no issues on windows
server 2008 – my backup server is currently running on 8.21 with the same data
with no problems

I can try Tomcat 7 if that is what will work with windows server 2012

Mark Ismail