Hey Martin:

I am sure we could do that, we already have a bunch of options to try and
pass in current scale/dpi to try and get a visual that matches what is on
the screen.

The code is here:

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wms/src/main/java/org/geoserver/wms/GetLegendGraphicRequest.java

The important part is:

legend graphic. A layergroup can be specified, too. In this case, STYLE and
RULE parameters can have multiple values (separated by commas), one for
each of the group layers.</td></tr>

So if style and rule are already setup it should be fairly easy to allow
layer to have multiple values separated by commas.

Indeed internally the code already has:

    /** The featuretype(s) of the requested LAYER(s) */
    private List<FeatureType> layers=new ArrayList<FeatureType>();

So no change to the data structure and logic should be required, just
parser and test case.

Aside: As long as we are dreaming here I would love to have one that
operates like GetFeatureInfo - and includes a reference GetMap complete
with BBox (and thus could only show the layers / rules that end up having
something on the screen.

--
Jody Garnett