Thanks for the support, Andrea.

I've done my tests:

I'm using AngularJS for the front-end and changed the request to POST. With
the help of WPS Request Builder, I grabbed the XML it builds (needed to
modify) and made a test request like this:

// <Test code>
var xmlString = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><wps:Execute
version="1.0.0" service="WPS" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xmlns="
http://www.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0"; xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs";
xmlns:wps="http://www.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0"; xmlns:ows="
http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1"; xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml";
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"; xmlns:wcs="
http://www.opengis.net/wcs/1.1.1"; xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0
http://schemas.opengis.net/wps/1.0.0/wpsAll.xsd";><ows:Identifier>gs:Unique</ows:Identifier><wps:DataInputs><wps:Input><ows:Identifier>features</ows:Identifier><wps:Reference
mimeType="text/xml" xlink:href="http://.../geoserver/wfs";
method="POST"><wps:Body><![CDATA[<wfs:GetFeature service="WFS"
version="1.0.0" outputFormat="GML2" xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs";
xmlns:smurb="smurb"><wfs:Query
typeName="smurb:bairros_vigentes_3857"/></wfs:GetFeature>]]></wps:Body></wps:Reference></wps:Input><wps:Input><ows:Identifier>attribute</ows:Identifier><wps:Data><wps:LiteralData>nome</wps:LiteralData></wps:Data></wps:Input></wps:DataInputs><wps:ResponseForm><wps:RawDataOutput
mimeType="application/json"><ows:Identifier>result</ows:Identifier></wps:RawDataOutput></wps:ResponseForm></wps:Execute>';

return $http({
url : rootUrl,
method : 'POST',
data : xmlString,
headers : {
'Content-Type' : 'application/xml'
}
});
// </Test code>

PS: I've suffered to figure out the CDATA stuff and the xmlns:wfs inside
<wfs:GetFeature...> (the modifications I pointed before)

The result is the same response time: like 10 seconds for 1.2kb ~ 1.3kb
data.

I don't know what I could try to monitor/make better, since the latency to
the server is fine ( < 1ms).

I'm accepting ideas ;)

Atenciosamente,

César Augusto R. Ribeiro